Share the love!

Follow me

Translate

An Endless Love Affair





I remember how it began
When you brought the gingerbread man to life
I knew then; You were the one
When I held your hand, and
You promised to stay with me, joy or strife.


You introduced Enid to me, I shall be ever thankful
Racing through the corridors of St. Clare’s and Malory Towers
Hobnobbing with ‘The Famous Five’, adventures with ‘The Secret Seven’
Never a dull moment with Enid, As we whispered and snickered together,
Under the teacher’s baleful glowers!


Never did I feel so important
That summer, when we shook hands with your friends of old
Dumas, Wallace, Defoe, Alcott…
a sprinkle of humour, a pinch of adversity, a dash of adventure,
entertainment aplenty
Classics evergreen, they humbly welcomed me into their fold.


Over the years, our romance blossomed
stealing sweet kisses in between classes
holding hands during those heavenly long drives
snuggling under the covers at home
Fascinated by our endless devotion, even Time pauses.


Hogwartz in high school, an unforgettable trip
Dostoyevesky and Nabokov offered grim pictures of life.
Exciting hours for you and me, between library aisles
Breathing in your heady addicting scent; On occasion
Stealing you away from a friend, like a jealous wife!


Life continues, Time stops for none
Crossing the threshold into adulthood
The quest for a respectable living
Kept me busy, Us apart; Yet
you were always there, ever ready, not one to brood.


Despite my yearning, distance grew
Swept away by Life’s massive tide
What remained, an occasional meet-greet
An unfamiliar glance, a cold shoulder; Yet there
you remained, not one to believe, our love had died.


As the sands of Time shift to the present
Sand-dunes posing a steep uphill climb
I wonder if I’d get to the oasis.
Just like that, I see you beckon, your smile familiar
Like it was only yesterday, I was yours, and You were Mine.


Even as I strayed and our bonds frayed
You held my hand as the storms raged
I ran a finger down your worn out spine.
Rekindling memories of the familiar comfort; Smiling,
As my love for you, the written word, stronger it surged.




P.S. : Books have been my friend for as long as I can remember. Imagine Hogwartz was real, and there existed a 'pensieve'; my trove of memories would show you a book in every frame. At times, my escape from reality and at others, it provided me with the answers that I seeked. Ours has been a torrid love affair, and one that I hope would never end! This is my tribute






Comments

  1. Very well written!! Books are my escape from reality. Works very well to push my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! The friend I stole a book from was you! 🤣

      Delete
  2. Awesome... Beautifully written...Oh the joy of holding a book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right? The aroma is like none other. It should be bottled! The 'bestest' friend ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an incredible read. You have woven these lines with chords that tug at the most memorable of childhood memories and I must admit how deeply I was moved . Books were the best thing that happened to me.
    I still remember how you were always with a book on the ride from school to Darsait !

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is time to borrow some books from you. Lend me a good read and I will give you some credit if I can flip through to the end. Happy Writing. For too much of reality you can always have the Teen Yaar" model to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Choose your genre and I'll recommend the book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of Roadblocks, Reactions & Resolutions - an oft repeating cycle.

Rains & Romance

Gestational heebie-jeebies Part I: My Story - How it All Began