Share the love!

Follow me

Translate

Of Roadblocks, Reactions & Resolutions - an oft repeating cycle.


This morning, as I sat in my car, and drove to work, I took in a deep breath, and was startled as I realised that it was my first conscious deep breath that I’d taken freely, without resistance in almost two weeks! I can almost see your foreheads crinkle in disbelief and mouths twist at my exaggeration. Well, that’s what it felt like. Like I hadn’t breathed in weeks; and this free, unrestricted inhalation and exhalation, brought upon me a sense of release, like steam being let out of a pressure cooker! Phew! What a relief! A huge weight instantaneously lifted off my shoulders, the heart felt lighter, and my mind,restful. This lightness was further enhanced by the delightful pepperminty freshness of the sugar-free mints, that I’d popped in my mouth. 




It had been a tough last couple of weeks. Plagued with worry, anxiety, tense hours, unrest, tiredness and illness. The emotions of intense dislike and hurt, and my grudges disappeared in a flash, along with the ache and discomfort in my head and face due to the pressure exerted by my loaded sinuses! I joined Camilla Cabello, as she crooned Señorita, out of my stereo, rejoicing as my molars, that had insistently throbbed throughout the week, aching for attention, once again retreated into their usual shell of anonymity. Quiet satisfaction coursed through my veins as my voice rang out clear and unhindered, unlike the half-hearted, hesitating, poorly rendered tunes, heavily laced in a nasal twang, of the past few weeks. I felt like myself again!

I marvelled at the miracles of present day pharmacology. For, wasn’t this the magic rendered by the potent combination of paracetamol, acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine and psudoephedrine, taken the previous evening, that was responsible for my present experience of decongestion, contentment and mental restfulness? Rather, was the illness merely a visceral manifestation of the mental static of the past couple of weeks, that resolved, with the lapse of time, my acceptance of reality, and my willingness to bypass it?

What felt like, a sudden screeching rude halt to my exhilarated acceleration along the OMR highway, by the herd of cows casually chewing their cud, in the middle of the road; and just like that, with the snap of two fingers, the mental block mysteriously evaporated into non-existence. Inspiration bounded joyfully into the bouncy house of my mind. The colour settings were turned back on, and I was enthused into the stirrings of motion, as the cows changed their mind, and made way for the oncoming traffic. I felt the weighted misery lift off me, just like the shroud of thick clouds in the sky, as they haltingly parted, and allowed the muted rays of the Sun to peek through.

Did the pressures of work and life, result in my temporary visceral malfunction? Or was their inconvenient co-occurrence a mere coincidence? Whatever it was, the relief experienced at the clearing of my sinuses, made the massive brick wall in my head, vanish! What came first, the chicken or the egg? Does it matter, really? What matters is how I feel now, in the wake of the storm. This particular morning, this particular moment, I feel awakened, refreshed, uplifted, even before the first sip of my morning coffee! Need I say more? The day ahead seems promising. Why worry about what might be waiting for me round the corner, or hold on to past resentments, when in the present glorious moment, every fibre of my being is egging me to soar upwards and onwards? The Universe (or maybe, it’s only the Sinarest?) seems to spur me on, back on to my original route, encouraging me to look ahead. I see the signs. I feel the difference, and I’m going to take the hint.

It's encouraging, this brief burst of positivity. I feel light and spritzy, like when the fizz from one's flute of sparkling bubbly sets off exciting microexplosions against their palate!  My lips upturn towards the warm rays of the sun, as the skies clear; I pick up pace and race towards my destination, much like the Energizer bunny, with not a speed bump in sight. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                   

  

"Life is available only in the present moment." 

~Thich Nhat Hanh

"Grateful for every blessing! Have a great day y'all!"









Comments

  1. Brilliantly written. So many of us are suffering silently right now... They need to know there are others who feel the same way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was just telling someone today, somehow the knowledge that we have company in our misery, makes the going seem a lot easier. It's easier to believe then, that, this too, shall pass.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Manjula. You write so beautifully.
    In my own personal experience with my body and health, I have noticed so often that when my anxiety, worry and stress levels are high for more than 4-5 days, I invariably have my sinuses flare up or my throat give in. I found it strange at first, but now I have slowly learnt to see it as a (nearly predicatable) pattern. And, that relief that comes up with the sinus clearing is magical!
    I loved the analogy of the cows "moo-ing" over and the colour seeting going on again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Natesh! This is a pattern that I've noticed quite recently, too. To be fair, I do have allergic rhinitis, however I can't help but notice an adverse effect on my physical health everytime I'm plagued by stress. It would be interesting to observe these effects over the next few years.

      Delete
  4. Profound read Manjula, really loved reading this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for dropping by! 🙂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rains & Romance

Gestational heebie-jeebies Part I: My Story - How it All Began